YOU MIGHT BE A PWC* IF:
From Winter 2015-2016 Forum
- To you, even the slow zombies look pretty energetic.
- Now, you’re frequently sick even in your dreams.
- You often go to a room for something and find yourself asking, “Why am I here?” — and the question is not existential.
- With some new doctors, you wonder who is getting less respect — you or the corner wastebasket.
- You’ve found that places you looked to for help, like CDC and NIH, are either laughingly incompetent or that the government is deliberately concealing something.
- You’d happily consider trading for Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, or being HIV positive.
- Your income is a fraction of what it would have been — but, you’re grateful that that’s not even worse.
- You used to think that you knew what the meaning of “pain” was.
- After CEBV, CFS, and SEID, you wonder what the next silly name will be.
- People have told you they knew someone like you who was cured by crystal channeling, Reiki, the Neanderthal diet, Polynesian light therapy, etc., etc. (and that they’ve been Feeling a little tired, too).
- During the disease onset, you kept telling yourself that you were just working too hard, fighting off a flu, getting older, developing allergies, [fill in your own rationalization].
- You have lab abnormalities and no depression, but you’ve, at times, been treated like someone with no lab abnormalities who has depression.
- You used to regularly run several miles, but now making it to your mailbox and back can be a challenge.
- When people say you look or sound great, you often feel like you’re about to keel over any second.
- You realize that CDC really stands for “Center for Denying CFIDS/ME.”
- People with your illness who have had a heart attack, stroke, or advanced cancer tell you that the illness you share is even worse.
- You become familiar with terms like “neurally mediated hypotension”, “hypercoagulability”, and “ciguatoxin”.
- You’ve often wondered how you can be this sick for so long and still be alive.
- You’re simultaneously worried about losing your disability income (because they say you’re healthy) and having to move to a nursing home (because you’re actually so sick and disabled).
- You wish they’d just go ahead and call it “WTF disease” (for “Worse Than Flu”, of course…)
*PWC — Person With CFIDS/ME (sometimes also written PWC/ME”)
The above was written by “APWC” from New Mexico.